Thursday, October 22, 2020

Celebrate Earth Day



Every year, I usually do a plant walk locally to celebrate Earth Day. Teaching local parents and kids about plants is fun for me. Well, anytime I get to talk about plants, I’m having fun.

This year, I haven’t found a spot to do a walk at yet. Since just moving to Southern Georgia, I’m still a bit unfamiliar with all the hot plant spots. (No pun intended, even though it will certainly get Hot later this summer.)

So my Earth Day To Do List is a bit different this year. And I thought I’d share it with you.

The first thing on my To Do list is to watch the rest of Planet Earth II. Did you know there was a new one? There is!! And I’ve seen almost all of it, except the last disc. So far, my favorite part are the bears and the *stripper tree pole* as my daughter so kindly refers to it. In her defense, it does look like the bears are getting all jiggy as they scratch themselves on this one tree. It’s pretty funny. You’ll have to tell me your favorite scene.

Then, I’m going to plant some weeds. Not flowers, not trees (although I may plant a lilac), but weeds. I don’t have a stinging nettle patch here in Georgia and haven’t seen nettles anywhere, so I’m planting some to keep my stock of 3x Stinging Nettle Tincture freshly updated. This will be my favorite (and cheap) Earth Day event. Seeds are only $6 and I can’t wait until I see those little nettles poke up!

Next, more weeds. I just have to get a place ready for them. I’m planting yarrow, calendula, borage, mugwort, wormwood, valerian, St. John’s Wort, chamomile, and comfrey.

So next year, if I haven’t found a natural habitat to do a plant walk, I’ll have created a great space for teaching. (At least begun a space, sigh.)

After I’m wilted and sunburned from planting all day, I’ll take myself into my cozy little house and dig into my new gardening book collection. I just bought these:

The Drunken Botanist: I can’t wait to dig into this and learn some new things about how alcohol is made from varying plants. What a fun read!

Wicked Plants: By the same author as above. This is about plants that have a Bad rap for many reasons. It will be another fun read!

The New Southern Living Garden Book: Now that I live in the South, this is a must have.

Southeast Home Landscaping: Having bought this little piece of property heaven in Georgia, it was a blank canvas upon moving in. Only a few bushes around the house were here. I have been carefully selecting my new plant companions and deciding how I want the layout of my garden spaces to function.

What are you doing to celebrate Earth Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment